Now I am a huge lover of oatmeal cookies. I have followed instructions on the package and was never happy. For years I have never been able to make them the way you find them in the store. Which for someone trying to get away from chemicals, and waste was a bummer. I ended up only getting them on occasion which, well if you enjoy a good oatmeal cookie is a sad, sad thing.
However, I have reached the light at the end of the tunnel! I have finally (angels sing) made the perfect oatmeal cookies. Crispy edges, moist and chewy middle, perfectly cooked! There are a couple tricks that help this cookie big time.
3 cups Oats (steel cut, old-fashioned, quick oats)
1 ¼ cups All-Purpose Flour
½ cup White Sugar
1 cup (packed) Brown Sugar
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Baking Soda
3 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup (2 sticks) Softened Butter
1 cup Chocolate Chips/Butterscotch Chips/Raisins
2 tsp Cinnamon (only for Raisin Cookies)
- Do not pre-heat the oven just yet. Here is trick #1 – Quick Oats are better. The reason? They cook and absorb the wet ingredients better. However you don't need to buy them if you don't already keep it on stock. Take 3 cups of your oats (in 1 cup increments) and grind them in a food processor. Do not grind to a powder just a rough chop. You will see they are mostly broken up and looks similar to quick oats.
- Mix all your dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl mix your butter, eggs and vanilla. Then combine your wet with dry.
- If you are using the 3 different add-ins separate your dough into 3 different bowls. Add your chips and raisins (+ cinnamon) to your 3 different bowls of dough.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Grab some dough and roll into a ball. Size is up to you. I choose a golf ball sized ball of dough.
- Now here is trick #2 – Put the baking sheets into the refrigeration for 15-20 mins. You can do this with the others just place them on a plate. Keep them in the fridge while the others bake.
- 5 mins before you pull the dough out of the fridge, pre-heat the oven to 325. Bake for about 10-15 mins based on thickness of cookies. Remove cookies when they are slightly golden.
- Voila! Yummy, crispy and chewy cookies! Enjoy!
What did you put in your cookies? Did you try my recipe? Let me know in the comments and leave a link to your cookies on Instagram or on your Blog.